Saturday, September 22, 2012

Mashed Potaytas and Chickpeas

You know when most people think of a typical American dinner, they think of meat and "potaytas".  Well, I got my own....................veganize everything I will!   :)

I'm a flexible and fluid cook and that means that I tend to stray from recipes and do my own thing................unless it's baking and then I actually have to be obedient to those measurements!   We're not trying to have problems.  This is one of those recipes where you can stray. I encourage tweaking because not everyone has the same taste buds.  So you may not like what I like and thus you have to make it the way you like so you like it, right?  This meal is pretty darn tasty.  In the words of my sister, "This junk is delicious".  My sister actually makes "junk"a suitable replacement for "thing" in only the way she can.  Let's do this:

Mashed "potaytas"

5-7 potatoes
2 tbsp Italian seasoning and/or fresh herbs
sea salt to taste (1-2 tsp)
pepper to taste
1/4 unsweetened soy milk
pour of olive oil (optional)

Chickpeas

1/2 onion
1/4 red bell pepper
1/4 green red pepper
2 cups of cooked chickpeas
3 - 4 sprigs of thyme or 1 tbsp of Italian seasoning
3 - 4 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup of water
1 tsp of sea salt 
1 tbsp of olive oil



All the ingredients ready to go.

Wash and peel your potatoes.  I don't mind if they are not peeled to perfection.

Now chop up all the veggies.  I chop the potatoes quite small so that they cook much faster.

Throw the potatoes in a pot and boil until they are cooked (15-20 mins).  You can add about 1 tsp of salt to the water.

Saute your veggies on medium heat in 1 tablespoon of olive oil for 5 mins.

Add the cooked chickpeas and saute for 5 minutes.  Add 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil.  Once boiling begins, turn the stove down to low and simmer for 15 mins.

Strain potatoes and smash em' in a bowl.  Add herbs, soy milk, salt and a little pour of olive oil for flavor (optional - I do for some reason).  Smash and mix until smooth.

Enjoy!



Thank you for reading!  My people, I appreciate you all so much.     Be healthy and happy!  Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment