Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

I love Panera Bread.  It was definitely the spot where the Davis girls (my sisters and I) would hangout during the holidays or whenever we got together.  One of my favorites items to order was the broccoli cheddar soup.  It was so creamy and cheesy and delicious!  The goodness in that soup was just amazing.  When I decided to go full on bird food, I really missed my broccoli cheddar soup.  I longed for it for a while until I realized that I could veganize it.  

Veganize it I did and I came up with this ridiculously easy recipe.

You will need:  

2 - 3 heads of broccoli (it depends on how big your broccoli is.  This amount represents what I have in the photo below)
3 potatoes
1/4 of a red bell pepper
1/4 of a green bel pepper
1/2 of an onion
4 cloves of garlic
1 cup of cashews
5 - 6 sprigs of thyme
2 cups of water
salt to taste 


Chop the peppers, onions and garlic.  Cut the potatoes into chunks.  Separate the broccoli florets into one inch pieces.  Blend your cashews.  A little trick I use is to blend the cashews dry and then add one cup of water.  It tends to get quite messy when you try to blend it all at once.   This is usually a problem for regular blenders but not for a Vitamix.  Add the second cup after the cashews and water have become a cream.  Blend until smooth.  Pour the cashew milk into a medium sized-pot like the one shown below.  Add the onions and garlic and allow them to flavor the cashew milk for 10 minutes.  Add the rest of the chopped ingredients and salt, stir and bring to a boil.  Once boiling, add the thyme and bring the heat down to a low setting and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes.  Boom.  Bam.  Done!  Another little trick that my sister taught me when using thyme is to tie it on a string and then add it to the soup.  This prevents the twig-like portions from falling into the soup and you having to pick them out as you eat.  Food has a good way of telling you when it is ready.  If your kitchen becomes deliciously fragrant, it's time.....................which will usually be around 20-25 minutes.  

+


+


+


+


=

Goodness!

More Goodness!!




Enjoy!


Thank you for reading.  My people, I appreciate you all so much.  Be healthy and happy.  Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment