Saturday, September 15, 2012

Collard Wraps

Now don't click on another recipe just yet.  You might miss a good thing.  Most people think of collards in one way:  Cooked Down Collard Greens.  Greased up, porked up, boiled up and cooking for weeks collard greens.  They're GOOD for sure but I've got something better.  :)    These collard are colorful and creative.   Who would've thought that you could use a collard leaf as a wrap.  I love creative things like that.  So I've been wanting to try this collard wrap thing for a while and I took the opportunity when I was shopping and happened to see a gorgeous bunch of organic collards.  

I specify organic here because there was a big difference in the organic kind and the conventionally grown collards from the store.  I am still working out my position when it comes to organic vs. conventionally grown.  On one hand, a lot of the research I have come across keeps telling me that there is virtually no difference in nutrient content between the two methods.  On the other hand, when I buy and EAT organic, it not only looks different (usually more colorful and appetizing) but there is seriously a noticeable difference in texture and flavor.  That says something.  So with some things, I will buy organic and others not so much.  Anywhos, let's see how it turned out.....................

What you will need:
Collards
Your choice of veggies for filling the wrap (spinach, kale, lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, white cabbage, red cabbage, red onions, etc)
Hummus or another spread of your choice (pesto, veggie dip, etc)



1.  Wash your collards thoroughly.  Slice down the stem in the center to reduce the bulkiness and allow the wrap to be flexible. 


2.  Prepare your choice of veggies for filling the wrap.  I used carrots, cabbage, tomatoes, avocado and red bell peppers.  If I had some spinach and cucumbers, I would probably throw that in there as well.


3.  Spread the hummus in the center of the wrap and layer the veggies on top.


4.  Continue until all the veggies have been placed on the wrap.  Fold the longer sides to the center and roll across the length of the wrap.  


This is a great choice for lunches.

Enjoy!



Thank you for reading!  My people, I appreciate you all so much.  Be healthy and happy!  Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment