Thursday, November 15, 2012

Salsa Salad with Tofu Croutons

McDonald's Chicken Salad (and any other salad) Ain't Got Nothing on Me!

Ok, Denzel's long lost daughter, what's got you so hype?  

This salad was another wonderful accident that happened last week.  Wonderful accidents are the best ways to develop new recipes.  I love the adventure because it is all about trying and discovering new things!  So my sis and I usually have a big cooking extravaganza on Sundays before the week starts.  This way we get cooking out of the way and have delicious meals at our disposal.  Sometimes I just don't have the time to cook every day and that's fine because life happens so I respond to that by planning ahead.  My sister is an absolute master at making salsa and guacamole.  Anytime I want salsa or guac, I just put in my order because I don't know what happens to my hands when I try.  Absolute fail......too sour, not enough flavor, too much salt, etc.  And that's why you have family!  :)  So in prepping lunch for school the next day, I decided I wanted a big salad with spinach, my favorite leaf, lettuce, tomato, red onions and purple cabbage.  I gotta tell you.  I can really get down in some raw purple cabbage.  The other day was enjoying my share in the kitchen and made the goodness of the cabbage audibly known.  I bursted out, "Man, I do loooove me some purple cabbage".    My sister confused as to what was going on was like, "Um, those aren't chicken wings".   Just disrespect.  See, sometimes folk just don't understand.  Anywhos, there was some leftover salsa in the fridge and I just finished up making the salad and didn't have time to make a creamy ranch salad dressing so I thought to myself,  "What if I use the salsa?"  I actually got the idea from a nutrition elective I was currently taking.  And I knew I wanted to eat some of the leftover pan-seared tofu my sister made with it.  And here's what I got:


Tofu:
14-16 oz block of tofu (I use a Trader Joe's brand)
1 tbsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp olive oil (for cooking)

 
*Salsa (party serving):
5 tomatoes
1 cup of red or white onions
1/2 cup of cilantro
2 freshly squeezed limes
salt and pepper to taste
Mix together

Salad:
Spinach
Tomato
Lettuce
Purple Cabbage
Red Onions

Place tofu between to thick sheets of paper towel or a clean cloth and press out as much liquid as possible while keeping the shape intact.  Cut tofu into 1/2 slices and season.  Cook the tofu on medium-high heat in a skillet until sides have browned.  Prep salad vegetables.  Chop and combine all veggies for the salsa, add your lime juice, salt and pepper and mix.  I would suggest letting the salsa sit for a night so the flavors can really come together.  Throw everything together.  Enjoy!

*Recipe courtesy of my sister
  

Thank you for reading! My people, I appreciate you all so much. Be healthy and happy. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment