Monday, December 24, 2012

Creamy Basil Rice with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds

This recipe has a nice nutty flavor to it and is a twist off of my "risotto" recipe.  Seriously though....pumpkin seeds are BOMB!  They are a wonderful source of healthy fats and essential trace minerals like manganese, zinc and copper.  In addition to this dish, I put them in granola or just eat them raw.   They are the business so please do try them out if you haven't already.  This recipe is great for picnics, entertaining and just for you at home.  Let's do this:

2 - 2 1/2 cups of cooked brown rice
1 cup of chopped basil
1-2 - 3/4 of a red onion
4 cloves of garlic (I'm obsessed with garlic so if you are not, tone it down to 2)
1/2 cup of cashews
1 cup of water
juice from 1 lemon
1 tsp of salt
1/2 of toasted pumpkin seeds



Saute red onion and garlic for 3 mins.

Add rice and saute for 2 mins to flavor it.

Blend cashews, water, salt and lemon until smooth and pour onto rice mixture.  Add chopped basil leaves.
*Note: As you can see I'm trying to keep salt to a minimum.  I don't have a problem with using salt but I like to keep the amount very small.  Truth is if you use enough fresh ingredients, you actually don't need to add very much if any sometimes.  It's just a little hint to bring out flavor.  I'm trying to keep you hypertension-free long term, aiight.  :)

Toast pumpkins seeds until lightly brown for around 5 mins.  You can up the nutritional ante with the addition of more fresh uncooked veggies: peas, chopped sweet peppers, spinach, carrots, tomatoes, etc.  Just add these right at then end. 

Enjoy!

Thank you for reading!  My people, I appreciate you all so much.  Be happy and healthy.  Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. An interesting blog here! I hope to learn tons from here and apply it to my daily eating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trecia! I'm so glad you have checked out the blog and you like it. :) I'm hoping it will be a great resource for anyone considering this lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete