Thursday, February 7, 2013

Word's Still Getting Out (Two)

So who's the word getting to now?

The first on the list is an artist I like alooooot.  This woman's voice is sooo crazy/amazing/talent-filled/God-blessed/I could never get bored listening to it/makes me wish I had that voice/so awesome she could sing a nutritional label.  The lovely Chrisette Michelle made her debut appearance as a bangin' bird food eater on CurlyNikki.com.  

Photo Credit: CurlyNikki.com


She gave Curly Nikki all the deets on her decision to switch to a plant-based diet, how much she has been enjoying it and how it has actually helped her VOICE!  She initially began the journey just intending to do a detox.  

"I became very interested in the raw food movement so I went out and purchased an Angel Juicer. I fell in love with juicing and feeling really clean and started off by juicing the first 60 days of the year. Not only did I lose 17 pounds in those 60 days, but I lost a lot of emotional weight too. It was a great mix for me.  After that, I went vegetarian.."

I love the part she says next:

"I...started writing a bunch of recipes to keep myself interested because I have ADD and get bored, fast. There are a ton of farmers markets where I live so it’s perfect… I’m always so excited to try new things- I even had purple basil one weekend!"

Chrisette totally has the tricks down. NUMBER ONE way to make the switch to bangin' bird food successful?  Be creative and try LOTS of new things.  Eating the same thing everyday would get boring for anybody.  Making things creative is easy cheese.   It just takes a little thought, that's all.

After the detox, she decided to go vegan. 

"At the end of the day, after that detox, I decided to take cheese and eggs out of the equation… even fish… and go vegan!"

Then looked what happened to her voice.....

"And my voice just got 4 notes higher to the point where my mom is like, ‘who is singing on this track?!’"

Looks like she's off to a great start. I'm glad she's enjoying the good life thus far. 

Check out the interview in it's entirety right here!


Photo Credit: Razor Gator


Carrie Underwood has also made the change recently.  Check out this short interview clip on Oprah.com where she shares why she made the switch and how its's been for her.

Here's an interesting story featured by Ecorazzi.  Carrie's new lifestyle caught the attention of Self Magazine who asked registered dietitian, Vandana Sheth, to do an assessment of the quality of her diet, whether it met the nutritional standards or not.  Sheth is a spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.   

So what was her conclusion? 

Carrie's diet received an A+.  This is what the dietitian had to say about her choice for lunch:

"Carrie’s lunch is perfectly balanced, colorful and nutrient-rich. It provides whole grains (brown rice), lots of veggies (broccoli, carrots, broccoli slaw, onions), lean protein (Quorn/Gardein chick’n) and is low sodium (Bragg Liquid Aminos). I would, however, suggest substituting the lean protein (Quorn/Gardein chick’n) with one that is not processed such as beans, lentils, tofu, edamame. Another option is to substitute quinoa for brown rice and enhance the nutritional quality of the meal."

I do agree her about using non-processed sources of protein, even if it is vegan.  Not everything that is vegan is healthy or nutritious (ie. junk food).
Photo Credit: Wikipedia


Now, check this out!  James Cameron, the award-winning director of Titanic just recently switched to  bangin' bird food immediately after watching Forks Over Knives.  In the YouTube video below, he describes how after watching the documentary, he literally got up, walked to his fridge and cleared his refrigerator of any and all animal products.



It gets even better.  Look who just released an entire cookbook of vegetarian recipes?  Yes, the legendary Martha Stewart.  I took this move as indication of where our food culture is currently moving.  Martha realized that too.  After all, she is a businesswoman.  


Photo Credit: everydayfoodblog.marthastewart.com
This last mention is what I like to see.  Mayor Emmanuel of Chicago, a big proponent of fitness, recently endorsed the Engine 2 Diet created by Rip Esselstyn, aiming to encourage firefighters of the city to embrace the meat and dairy-free approach expressed in the book.  His reason was based on his concern for the great healthcare costs that are currently placing stresses on the country and will only continue to grow if nothing changes.  Healthcare costs were listed as the third biggest item on the city budget.  He thinks that encouraging healthy eating and personal responsibility for ones health can begin to cut some of those costs.  Check out the rest of the article here


Thank you for reading.  My people, I appreciate you all so much.  Be healthy and happy.  Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment