Sunday, March 10, 2013

Lentil Patties

These babies are basically my plant-based version of a common Jamaican favorite: patty.  Patties are the go-to lunchtime choice for many Jamaicans.  They consist of a flaky pastry crust that is packed with a variety of fillings, which can include beef (the original) or chicken and as we have become more health conscious, spinach or soy.  I remember biting into the crunchy, flaky crust of a patty that just came out of the oven.  WHOOOOA!!..................Bangin!  I also remember burning my tongue more than from time to time because I was so eager, or "craven" as Jamaicans say, to get into that patty.  Man that filling was HOT (just take your whole tongue out) but soooo sooooo good!  I loved those patties. 

So once plant love took over, I had to come up with a replacement.  I got the idea originally from my sister and then started playing around with it myself.  Lentils are a great substitute for recipes that originally used beef.  They are my other favorite bean/legume other than chickpeas.  They have a very satisfying flavor and I tell you the truth...they even smell like meat when you cook 'em.  It's a little scary.  It's just an amazing food! Thank you God for putting this in the soil!!!!  I usually have requests to make this again and again.  Let's do this:

Lentil Filling
I cup of lentils or 1/2 of a 16 oz bag
3/4 of an onion (chopped)
3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
1 tbsp of raw sugar/honey (optional)
1 tsbp of thyme
2 tomatoes
1 tsp salt
2 tap garlic powder
1/2 green pepper

Pastry
1 tsp curry powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
1/2 cup of water
1/3 olive oil
1 1/2 whole wheat flour
1 cup of oat flour (I usually just blend my oats)

*Use a rolling pin or if you are resourceful like me, a smooth drinking glass.  That's for my college and grad students.  I know we are poor.  :)

Sort and wash lentils, picking out stones, shriveled lentils and any other lentils that look a little off.  Cover the lentils with an inch of water above the lentils.  Add half of the onions and garlic and bring the pot to a boil.  Once the lentils have come to a boil, reduce the heat to low and let simmer, almost as though you were cooking rice.  Allow to cook for 30 mins.  Once lentils have cooked, add the listed seasonings (rest of the onions and garlic, powders, tomatoes, peppers, sugar and salt). Incorporate the seasonings and allow to cook for 15 more mins.



Now onto the dough....
Combine all pastry ingredients.  Initially mix with a fork until the dough comes together and then knead until the dough is fully mixed (3-4 mins).

Once the dough is fully mixed, form it into a ball.

Cut the dough into 8 pieces.

Form one of the pieces into a round ball or mound.


Roll the dough out into a flat sheet about 2 mm in thickness.  Using a bowl or some round shape, cut out a circle in the dough.


Cover half of the circle with the lentil filling.  Mine was a little too much here so I cut it down for the others.


Fold the uncovered side of the circle over to close the patty and seal with the end of a fork.  The "forking" is purely for aesthetic purposes.  I like pretty food.  :)  
I dip the fork in water as I go to keep it from sticking to the dough.

Repeat the cycle until you get your desired number of patties.  Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30-35 mins.


Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Cuz! You gotta make some for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! These look so delicious. I'll be trying this recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete