Monday, September 16, 2013

BBF Healthy Eating Tip #1: Hummus = Salad Dressing

WADUP, my people!

The time between posts is slowly growing.  I apologize for that.  I know, I'm playing games but it's not my fault.  Med school made me do it.  So, I understand that implementing a new and healthy lifestyle can be difficult at times, from figuring what kind of foods to eat to deciding how you want to prepare them.  It can be frustrating and stressful and may even lead you to fall back into old and not-so-healthy eating habits.  So I am going to begin posting some short, sweet and simple tips from time to time that I hope will give you some ideas and help to solve some of the problems many folks come upon when trying to eat healthier.





Tip #1: Use hummus as your salad dressing!!!

Of course, this was a dilemma I faced when I stopped eating animal anything, which included creamy, cheesy salad dressings, like ranch, and other salad fixings (feta cheese).  So this idea came to me one day when I was at home visiting my mama and grandmama.  I was making a BOMB chickpea and eggplant casserole accompanied with a spinach salad and was looking for the perfect dressing to top the meal off.  I began searching the fridge for options.  My eyes soon locked with the almost finished container of garlic hummus on the top shelf and it clicked.  Hmm, I love hummus and I love salad and I usually eat hummus with some type of plant food and it tastes amazing so hummus + salad shouldn't be too big of a jump.  The hummus was also slightly salty and I wanted to tone that down as well.  So I simply poured about 1/4 cup of water into about 1/2 cup of hummus (what was left in the container) and the easiest salad dressing was born.  I do this all the time now and it works beautifully.



This salad was made with Spinach, Carrots, Red Onions, Cilantro, Tomato and Romaine.
The salad dressing is the white bean basil hummus from Trader Joes.

Thank you for reading.  My people, I appreciate you all so much.  Be healthy and happy. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment